ENSURING THE PRESERVATION OF OUR HISTORIC COMMUNITY
The GHF Revolving Fund purchases endangered buildings, rehabilitates them, and sells them to preservation-minded individuals. Efforts in several neighborhoods have dramatically improved the area and encouraged other homeowners to do the same with their properties. Many of these buildings would have been demolished without GHF’s intervention.
GHF rehabilitated properties are sold with a protective covenant to ensure the architectural character of the buildings will be preserved. Since beginning the Revolving Fund, GHF currently holds protective covenants on approximately 35 commercial structures and 40 residences.
For more information, please contact Michael Guillot, Director of Preservation and Conservation Services, at 409-765-3425.
ABOUT GALVESTON HISTORICAL FOUNDATION
GHF was formed as the Galveston Historical Society in 1871 and merged with a new organization formed in 1954 as a non-profit entity devoted to historic preservation and history in Galveston County. Over the last sixty years, GHF has expanded its mission to encompass community redevelopment, historic preservation advocacy, maritime preservation, coastal resiliency and stewardship of historic properties. GHF embraces a broader vision of history and architecture that encompasses advancements in environmental and natural sciences and their intersection with historic buildings and coastal life, and conceives of history as an engaging story of individual lives and experiences on Galveston Island from the 19th century to the present day.